Industry example: Travel/Tourism
- Topic: Gamification / Serious Gaming
- Industry: Tourism
- Clients: Costa and other well-known travel companies
- Target group: Travel agents / Retailers / Sales staff
Many international tourism companies like Costa face the following questions:
1. How can staff in travel agencies be trained through e-learning courses in the best possible way?
2. What’s the best way to convey the diverse learning content (information on travel, ships, destinations, special offers, etc.)?
3. How can users be motivated to learn if participating in e-learning is voluntary?
The solution: Gamification
People don’t like boring e-learning courses. But everybody loves entertainment, games and excitement. Presented as an attractive game, learning is fun – and happens quite naturally. Therefore, Gamification or Serious Gaming aims at learning as an EXPERIENCE. However, such a motivating learning experience is only achieved through the interplay of different aspects:
- An attractive game idea
- Diverse tasks of varying complexity
- Rewards and positive feedback for solving tasks
- Challenges and rewards should be kept well-balanced for learners
- Inspirational implementation: attractive design, numerous interactions and animations
- Intuitive, unrestricted usability
For Costa and other well-known travel companies, hydra has implemented several learning experiences. Each game has its own game idea and its own navigation concept as outlined by these examples:
Six routes lead you around Costa’s world. Customer benefits, ships, destinations, travel: all highlights from the new catalog are waiting to be discovered. And learners who provide the correct answers to the questions can win bigger prizes with each level. View projekt »
What exactly turns the company’s ships into a dream destination for travelers? We are revealing the secret in this learning experience. But not immediately. Only those who explore all the benefits and collect all the hidden letters can unlock the secret– and win a fantastic cruise.
Bon vivants, sports lovers, families: Join various typical clients on the new ship. Experience on video and in 3D what they find particularly interesting about it. For each highlight you can collect one color, and each color represents a chance to win. Can you make it and explore the entire color range?
A customized learning portal provides information about all learning activities and events.
- The users spent an average of over 20 minutes on an e-learning course
- Most of the users visited the trainings several times
- Most of the users completed the tasks successfully
- To a high degree, content-related questions have been answered correctly and tests have been passed successfully
- Positive feedback from learners and project managers
- LMS integration via SCORM (transfer of success data)
- HTML5 (some courses in responsive design)
- Integration of 3D views, videos, animations
When are gamification training courses particularly suitable?
- If you want to inspire others with your products or services
- If you want to train users in the best way possible – particularly if you depend on their voluntary participation (e.g. retailers, partners, consumers)
- If sustainable learning success matters to you
- If you want your users to experience your brand as high-quality and innovative
For our travel agents it was a completely new experience that e-learning can be so much fun. The fact that our learners voluntarily spent an average of over 20 minutes on a training course shows how well these courses are accepted.
We would be happy to show you more on the potential of gamification. Simply email us: